By attributing human characteristics of self-centeredness and conceitedness to God, one is misunderstanding who God is. Three very important points bring clarity to understanding God:
1. God is not human. His ways and His thoughts are higher than man’s. (Isa 55:9) God is not capable of such human behaviors, thoughts, or emotions. Therefore, they cannot be attributed to Him. We don’t need to try to make God more human to be able to understand Him.
2. God did not create the universe to worship Him. The planets and stars reveal God’s creative nature, and thereby bring Him glory, but they do not worship Him.
3. God did create man with the ability to worship Him. But God also gave man a free-will choice. Man is able to choose to enter into a relationship with God through Jesus, and to worship God and pray to Him. But man is also free to choose to reject his Creator.
So while God created man desiring a relationship with him, God will not force that relationship upon anyone. True worship is:
- a response to God’s love, freely given by God to man.
- an expression of man’s love, freely given to God by man.