Are the manuscripts that make up the Bible trustworthy? How can one be sure the Bible was given by God?
The Bible claims to be inspired and that means that the words are God’s words, given to man. There are many lines of evidence to support the divine origin of the Bible. Consider the following:
• Manuscripts: No other ancient document comes anywhere close to the Bible in terms of the number and accuracy of surviving copies and they authenticate the accuracy of the Bible through the ages.
• History: Archaeology has repeatedly verified the biblical record. Over the centuries archeological digs have validated peoples, places, and events recorded in the Bible and archaeology continues to unearth finds that offer additional validation of the Bible’s accuracy.
• Authorship: The men who wrote the Bible were known as men of integrity. They were pious Jews, persons of authority, and ones who suffered for the things they wrote. There is no reason to believe that they recorded false accounts of their experiences. Jesus Christ also testified that the Bible comes from God (see Matt. 24:35 and John 10:35, among others).
• Prophecy: There are numerous prophecies of future events recorded in the Bible. A single false prophecy would be enough to refute the Bible’s claim to divine origin; instead, so many have been fulfilled that it supports our certainty that prophecies of events yet-to-happen will one day be fulfilled.
• Power: Since the beginning of time, God has spoken to His people and changed their lives. And with the Bible available worldwide, for centuries we have witnessed the amazing power of the written word to change people’s lives, even to the point of impacting history.
No other book has shaped individuals—and world events—like the Holy Bible the Creator and Sustainer of all things (Gen 1:1, Col 1:17).
No other book has offered absolute truths like the Bible, written by the Absolute Truth Giver (John 17:17).
No other book gives hope like the Bible, the Word of God who is our Redeemer, our Saviour, and our true Hope (John 1:1, Gal 4:4-5, Titus 2:13)
All of these facts support the Bible having a divine (rather than human) origin.