What Happens If I Continue To Sin?
What happens when we choose not to obey the promptings of God? Will the Holy Spirit continue to lead you if you continue to sin?” Let’s be clear: All Christians commit sins. I John 1:9 promises God’s forgiveness to Christians who confess their sins, but the Bible is clear that Christ’s followers are not to willingly and repeatedly sin. Christians are not to harbor sin in their lives. Romans 6:14 says that “Sin shall not have dominion over you.” I John 3:9 indicates that habitual sin should not be characteristic of the believer. So what are the steps to overcoming habitual sin?
- Know that bad habits must be replaced with good ones. Like Joseph, we have to run from the things that tempt us (Genesis 39:15)
- Admit that without the help of the Lord, sin will creep into our lives.
- Walk closely with God every day, which takes discipline and commitment.
- Be mindful of the fact that Christian maturity does not happen automatically.
- Be proactive in pursuing spiritual growth.
- Intentionally making God-honoring choices.
- Replace bad habits with good ones.
- Flee temptation.
- Turn away from the things that can cause us to fall into their clutch.
- Love Jesus. Think on Him, read His Word, and allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen you and guide you.